Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Paint, Paint, Paint

It has begun. The painting that I have wanted to do on the inside of our house since we moved in is in progress. Our house is 12 years old, and has never been painted on the inside. For almost 5 years we have lived with icky, yucky white paint. Funny thing is, we did not know how truly icky, and yucky it was until we started painting. The painting of our house has been a topic of debate between Mark and I for almost a year: Mark wants to keep true to the white walls we already have, and I want color. We agreed that we would keep the family room/daycare room, and the downstairs bathroom/laundry room white, but for the rest of the house we would go with color. Our family room is done. The colors we used are Gobi Desert, and Liberty. Gobi Desert is your basic beige color, Liberty is a blue/gray, kind of on the dark side. We did have to hire a painter to help with the vaulted ceilings in our living room. Our ladder would not reach the top of the wall, and after climbing up as high as I could, I was scared to move. The painter we hired gave me a great tip on how to have straight lines, without having the paint bleed through the tape. He said, put up your tape, then put a thin line of caulking on the tape, smooth it out with your finger, paint, remove the tape within a few minutes and you will have perfect lines. We went that night to buy more paint, and we bought a tube of caulking, I tried his suggestion, and it worked perfectly. Thank you Jeremy, at The Holy Roller. Next I will be working on the kitchen, and the wall with the sliding door that leads to the backyard. The color for the kitchen is Provence Creme, which is a very, very, very, pale yellow. I am thinking about doing the window sill in the kitchen a brighter color of yellow, not a 100% sure on that, but I am thinking about it. For the wall leading to the backyard I am going to go with Gobi Desert. Most of our house is the beige color. The stairwell, and the landing at the top of the stairs is all Gobi Desert. The guest bedroom will also be Gobi Desert. I would like to do my sewing room in a different color, but it just depends on how much Gobi Desert we have left. We (I) have not decided what color we want in our bedroom. We are thinking that we might want a red accent wall, but just have not decided. Mark has not decided what color he wants in his office. I did see some NFL color paint and I thought it would be cool to do a 49er wall, but really, it is up to Mark. My dad is coming out to help us paint. He loves to paint, and is pretty bored at home. I can't wait to see him, and have him help us. Mark and I have been doing a lot of work fixing up our house. I can't wait to have some family in town to be able to check out our handy work.

2 comments: